Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Summer 2010 Program

If you look to the right side of the page I added a page that explains the core of this year's summer program.  I want you all to read this and get back to me as soon as possible with the information I asked for.  This is something I want to keep track of all the way through the fall next year.

The program will have you guys in the weight room 4-5 times per week, with a core lift (back squat, deadlift, hang clean) 3 of those days.  Any day there is a core lift, you should do this lift at the very beginning right after your warmup so you are fresh.

I do want to implement a new system for warming up this year so everyone knows what a warmup should be like.  I still want you guys doing all the movement prep work (air squats, leg swings, etc.) before this, but once we get to a lift, your warmup should look like this:
5 reps @ 40%
5 reps @ 50%
3 reps @ 60%

After this you can then start your work sets.  I want you guys resting 3-5 minutes between sets while you are doing core lifts.  This may seem like a long time, but this is what your body requires to recover optimally between strength lifts.

The program will be somewhat similar to last year's, but more structured, as you can see everything is based on percentages of your calculated max.  We will still be doing CrossFit WOD's, but not as often as last summer/fall.  Most of the WOD's will be replaced with assistance work (pushups, dips, lunges, box jumps, etc).  

Any extra work you guys want to do is up to you, but I will say this... Listen to your bodies. If you start to feel fatigued on a day to day basis, your body telling you that you are overtraining, which quickly leads to injury.  I do encourage agility work and extra sprint work, but only if your body feels good on a particular day.

Finally, I really want you guys training your forearms hard this summer.  Grab a tennis ball and get to squeezing.  You don't even have to be in the weight room to get your hands stronger so I expect every person to come back with sick hand strength.  Believe me, it's one of the things I regret not training harder when I played and now I realize how valuable it would have been.

That's all for now, get me your numbers on your maxes and email them to me.  For those of you who don't have my address it is: nicholas.vera@trinity.edu



0 comments:

Post a Comment