Friday, December 18, 2009

Saturday 12/18

Fellas-
There's one thing really important about the strength work that I want to reiterate.  For example, today's workout is 5x5 back squats, which should be a bitch if done correctly.  I will use myself as an example if I were to approach this workout tomorrow.  I would start out with a warmup set of 8-10 @ 135 lbs.  From there prolly go 6-8 @ 155.  Then a set of 5 @ 185.  Then to the first set that I would actually count at 225 (Yes, I need to work on my squat...)  This is called my first work set.  I think too often guys would count the set of 5 @ 185 a work set when in reality you are still using it to warm up.
If successful at 225 I would go up to 230, then 235, then 240, then 245.  Let's say I get 235 on my 3rd set and on my 4th set only get 4 reps @ 240.  That set count even tho you failed.  And there is nothing wrong with failing, as a matter of fact on workouts like this it should definitely happen at least once.  Just make sure you have something or someone to spot you.
So I failed at 240.  Now I have to make a decision on whether or not I want to try 240 again or go back down to 235 for my last set.  I would probably go back to 240 since I only missed by one rep.  Had I missed by 2 or 3, I would consider going back town to 235.
I want you guys to understand this because moving forward and especially in season, we will continue strength work and I want you all to approach this part of the workout the right way.  You should never have a strength day (unless specified) where your sets range more than 20-30 lbs.  Using my example, I went from 225 to 240 in my 5 sets.  I guarantee there is a bunch of you who would do the workout and start at 225 and go up to 315 in your 5 sets.  Again, just making sure this stuff is clear... if not, post a comment or email me and we can get on the same page.


Strength
5 x 5 Back Squats (3-5 mins. between sets)

WOD
4 Rounds of:
Squat Jumps
Long Jumps (from a stand still, jump as far as you can forward)
Clapping Pushups
Explosive Step Ups
Side-2-Side Jumps
- Do 4 reps of each exercise (4 each leg on single leg exercises)
- To be completed as a superset
- NOT timed and should not be rushed.  Rest enough to make sure each rep is max effort.  I would recommend 30 sec. to 1 min. between exercises

Finally, I really want you guys spending time on stretching.  Before workouts, you should warm up using dynamic stretches (leg swings, arm swings, high knees, etc).  These movements are designed to warm your body up quickly and prepare you for your workout.
After workouts and a couple times daily you should be doing static stretches.  These would be the classic stretches such as the butterfly stretch, or a basic seated hamstring stretch.  Try and make yourself do these a couple times a day, especially immediately following a workout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment